Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Having Fun With Improv...? I Think So

Gotta admit, I was definitely dreading doing improv. I have had BAAAADD experience with improv (it was all my class did in theater II...not pleasant) and just hearing the word makes me break out in deadly hives. But all embellishing aside, I'm also just not usually that great at improv either. But today, when I was taught by someone who actually knew what they were talking about, I was able to see improv for what it really was, instead of being intimidated by it. But I think what I would mostly like to take away from today was the different ways you could creatively commit infancide (original, I know). But sometimes you have to do ridiculous things like in order to really appreciate the glory of improv and also theater: it doesn't have to necessarily make sense in reality, but if the people on stage have a purpose (i.e. killing a baby in a blender), than the audience won't question why the hell we're killing it in the first place, or the morality of the issue (if they do, then that's no fun). Today, I've seen some of the funniest improv I've ever seen in my whole life, and it reminded me not to be afraid of an intangible concept that can be hysterical if done right. So thank y'all for that. Looking forward to tomorrow (when am I not?)! See e'erbody then!
-Elise (not Kara) Kimple

5 comments:

  1. YES, Improv is scary. Eep. But I totally agree with you about the hysterics today's antics had me in. I think it's about commitment. Full commitment. It's hard, but if you really do dive into improv headfirst, it can be a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Improv isn't one of those things that you can just half ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I dont think improv is really something you can half ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also available to run improv workshops for acting teachers. ;)

    ReplyDelete