Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Plot twist! Ariel is actually the Black Swan.

07/11/12 (Third Day)

I would like to reinforce...
Peter and the starcatcher-- using a rope to create a scene
Dubstep, Never have I ever, THE TEMPEST, Avatar costume elements, Beat boxing


"When the tempest rages, when the thunders roar, and the lightnings blaze around us it is then that the truly brave man stands firm at his post."
--Luther Martin

Tempest: a violent windstorm, especially one with rain, hail, or snow

"It's the ten commandments, it's the parting of the Red Sea, it's the biblical whirlpool from hell." This was the only clip of the Pirates of the Carribean 3 Maelstrom I could find, but it's what I envision our tempest as in Act 1, Scene 1.

I love this scene for a lot of reasons, but most importantly, I think it has relevance to the work we did in rehearsal today. The actors in this scene literally had rain and wind pelting down on them, and waves crashing over the deck sweeping them in all directions. Gore Verbinski created every element of the storm except for the actual ocean and then thrust his actors into it, so that, not only could he film better, without having to artificially create a storm, but the actors could feel it. They were in the middle of a storm.

This scene plays wonderfully because of the producers' big-budget choices. The actors don't have create anything artificial in their voice or body language, because the storm is actually there. It's not artificial. And you can really see how genuine their responses are. They don't have to remember to raise their voices or over-enunciate their words or invade their shipmates personal space to try and communicate, because that type of response is automatic in the midst of this kind of storm. Both ships were actually at an angle during this scene. When you see the actors clinging to the deck, it's because they don't want to be swept off of it.

What the actors do in this scene is a patter of behavior, like everything else, and I think it gives a great example of the kind of things we can do onstage to make this storm real. We don't have a storm. But we have movement on stage (a truly spectacular dance, choreographed by Froni) ,and we have object work, and we have you guys! If you see the storm, the audience will see it.

Has anyone seen Peter and the Starcatcher? I've only seen snippets of it online, and interviews from the cast. If you're interested in it, I like the following clips. It's kind of an interesting and extraordinary production. A bit experiemental I think, in regards to comedy and staging. Our staging today reminded me of it. It made me very happy.
Peter and the Starcatcher: First Look
Starcatcher Clips/Highlights

I never really understood this breathing thing until today. I'm always astounded by the amount of air I can get in my lungs when I lie on my back and relax a little, letting go of the tension in my hips and legs. Retaining those skills we practiced today--the ability get a full breath, to sustain that breathing in order to support speech or singing--is really difficult. You have to make it a habit. You have to use your body in a new way, and remember that physical shape and process using sense memory.

This year, the breathing and vocal work came a little easier to me because I've had some singing lessons from a really wonderful instructor. Here are some tips I learned, stuff that has helped me enourmously over the years.

1. Relax. If you're holding any tension in your body, you can't get a full breath. Good posture is good, but there is a huge difference between good, upright posture and rigid posture. So many people tense up trying to breathe deeply and fully just before they attemptto sing, and that tension and rigidity only hurts you. Prepare to take a deep breath and them freeze. If you're holding any tension in your body when you're prearing to take a deep breath, in your neck or shoulders, in your upper chest and back, or in your lower back and stomach muscles, release it.

2. Make sure your knees aren't locked.

3. If you're still trying to envision pushing that breath down and you can't quite get it, try bouncing up and down a little on the balls of your feet, bending your knees slightly and then straightening up again.. Move your hips around a bit in circles, get those muscles loose and circulating. A full breath is the kind you get when you do what we did today--when you lie on your back and focus on your lower stomach and back muscles.

I love voice work.

No comments:

Post a Comment