Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Ressurection of the Dead Baby (Joke)

a.k.a Baby in a Blender


7/10/12 (Second Day)

I am always amazed and astounded and astonished and cheered at what people come up with when doing improv. 42ooooo. Yeah, get it giirl! Susan ate them.

What on earth would I do if not laughing at your incredible antics and surrounded by such amazing people--who are willing to throw everything they have into something new. Improv--I think--really isn't about anything other than saying yes. Giving it a shot. Attempting to act on the fly.
Often scenes and lines go in comedic directions, but that's not the most important thing. The most important thing is that our wonderful STC group this year may be a bit scared of improv (I definately am) but every single person is willing to try something new. Go our group!! I got over some of my fear of improve today. The rewards far outweigh the risks.

I didn't get a chance to say this today, but I would like to reinforce the insanity and chaos that explodes when buffaloes start to stack on top of each other, each person pursuing a different objective. Namely-- our two person scene >> six- person scene. Every person dragged in a new dead buffalo.

Jason taught me a valuable lesson today about how improv doesn't always have to be like that. Just because a scene might be stalling a little doesn't mean it's dead. The first three lines are the most important, and after that, all you have to is follow a pattern. I would also like to reinforce how talented everyone is. Every single one of you. I not only surprised myself today in improv, but I was surprised by some of the people who got up there and did it, and were pretty darn good at what they were doing.

I love surprising myself, but more than anything, I love being surprised by a castmate/ensemble member. Someone will get up on stage and catch me completely off gaurd, doing something I hadn't thought they were capable of or willing to do. Teaching, and being in a classroom, offers that experience more than any other field.

In addition to that, and even more importantly, when these people work together, when an ensemble does improv, when a few people are thrown together and told to make something work, what ends up happening is an amazing creation that no-one could ever have predicted, and none of us could have done on our own.

"The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts." -- Aristotle

I'm even more surprised and amazed and just Happy, at the stuff we ended up performing today, with each other. Also, I just want to say, I love Jason's non-rules for improv. Ask questions. Say no. Do whatever you want--anything within the first three lines, but do your best to keep the scene alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment